Wednesday, December 8, 2010

NYIP Unit 2 Complete

I'm pleased to report that I have now completed the second unit on the New York Institute of Photography Complete Professional Photographer course.  I sent in my project photos just before Thanksgiving and got my critique back this week.  The comments I got back were very positive and I am pleased with the results.

The focus on unit two was on image composition and exposure.  All three of the project photos utilized different techniques to draw attention on the subject.  The first picture utilizes off center placement to focus attention on the subject.  This technique is commonly referred to as the "Rule of Thirds".  With this technique, the subject is placed off center approximately 1/3 the way into the frame.

Photobucket


In this picture, the subject is sitting by the bank of the Niagara River throwing stones into the river. The subject is place on the right third of the frame looking out to the river on the left.  Attention is further drawn to her by the use of selective focus.  The subject is in sharp focus, while the background is out of focus.  This picture was taken in mid afternoon.  I used a lensbaby lens to give the selective focus effect.  The shot was 1/320 second shutter speed, f/5.6, iso 100.

Photobucket


The second photo assignment was to draw attention to the subject using framing.  This picture was taken through a row of corn stalks.  The subject is framed by the leaves of the corn stalk.  A large aperture was also used in this shot to further define the subject by selective focus, blurring the leaves in the fore and background.  This was shot on an overcast day, iso 400, f/6.3, 1/640 second shutter speed.

Photobucket


The final picture uses leading lines to show distance and draw attention to the subject.  In this shot, the railing of the stairs leads the viewers eye to the subject and gives perspective with the descending stairs.  This was shot in the same corn maze at the previous shot.  This was shot with iso 400, f/6.3 and 1/400 second shutter speed.

I am currently working on the academic portion of unit 3 which focuses mainly on lighting.  I hope to have my pictures for that unit complete by the new year. 

I am also working on going through the approximately 200 pictures I shot at my brother's hockey game last weekend.  Once I get those sorted and pull out the good ones, I will post some on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment